Wednesday, April 2, 2014

6 Reasons I Give Blood

1.  Brooke Kelly Pasch.
My niece Brooke Kelly Pasch lived 19 years thanks to many blessings including blood donors.  She touched more lives in 19 years than most of us touch in a lifetime and that is not an exaggeration. Her optimistic attitude despite her medical conditions touches people to this day.

2.  Mary Janis Laycock
Mary was my assistant for years and gave blood and talked me into getting over my fear of giving blood.  If it weren't for her, I probably would still be sitting on the sidelines.

3.  Free apple juice and snacks
Well, it's something...




4.  Your special.
Once I gave blood I learned my blood type is universal (O-) and can help anyone who needs blood.  My mom always told me I was special.





5.  My health
You get a free "mini checkup" every time you give blood.  Plus, they say it is good for your iron levels.


6.  Giving to others and nearly no cost to me
It really does feel good to give blood knowing that I am contributing to someone's life.  I am not sure how to explain how good it feels especially when logically I realize there is nearly no cost to me to do this other than about an hour every few months.

If you are afraid of giving blood, do what I did. Try it once.  I did and it wasn't so bad.  I did faint after my 2nd time because I didn't eat enough but Mary did not let me stop and I've donated many times since then and never fainted again.  
Giving blood March 30, 2014 in honor of Brooke Kelly Pasch.

Every time I donate blood I do so in honor of Brooke Kelly Pasch.  But I also think about all the other people in my life who have needed or will need blood.



In case you don't know where to go, I give all my blood through the Red Cross and they have locations and drives all over the place.