Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The passport office exceeded my expectations

You often hear that the government is inefficient and late with everything.  Well, I have a story where the US Government exceeded my expectations.  It would be nice if this is a sign of things to come.

In early March, I realized my passport would expire in July.  With a trip out of the country planned in May, I thought it wise to renew before my trip but I was worried about the turn around. Online it said to expect 6 weeks for passports to be renewed.  That gave me enough time but I was very nervous that something would go wrong.

2 weeks later, my new passport arrived. When I got the envelope, I expected it to be my old passport with some problem or failure that was going to make me rush to get things done.  I could not believe my passport was renewed and in my hands 4 weeks before promised.

Then I realized my passport number had changed.  I quickly feared my global entry would have to be renewed (and this is a pain and requires in person visits).  Instead, I logged into global entry and updated my passport number. Viola.  It was done.

I'm sure there are other areas that need to be overhauled but it's great to see some government offices doing a great job.   We complain so much about our government, we should also take time to compliment the good as well.

Kudos to whomever is running the passport office.  2 week turnaround is excellent and exceeded my expectations.