Monday, March 28, 2016

Windows 10 - My reinstall story with good news

A few weeks ago, my start menu stopped working.  I could not click start.  It limited my ability to work significantly.

I tried everything to fix it without reinstalling. I even created a 2nd profile but that too had weird issues.

So it was time for a full reinstall on my 3 month old laptop.  Seems crazy, but with all the different USB devices I've tried, I suppose something got corrupt from a bad USB driver that I could not get rid of.

Now for the good news.  I used the built in recover features while keeping files functionality. Settings, recovery, reset.  About 1 hour later, I was back in business with my profile working fine and all my files still available.  I reinstalled all my applications and my machine is running as good as new.

I'm still not sure what caused the problems but I'm glad Microsoft has gotten better about making it possible to reinstall windows so easily.  Especially given I was able to keep all my files since onedrive file synchronization was one of the programs that stopped working a few weeks ago.